The GET # file or port statement reads data by bytes or record positions.
- Syntax: GET #filenumber%, [location], variable_value
- File/port number is the number used in the OPEN AS statement.
- The byte or record location is the byte in a BINARY file or the record in a RANDOM file.
- Location can be omitted if the GETs are consecutive or when creating a new file.
- The variable value is any string or number type or a TYPE or FIELD variable.
- QB64 can GET the entire data contents of an array from a PUT array file.
Example 1: Using a TYPE record variable to read a record.
- OPEN file$ FOR RANDOM as #1 LEN = LEN(Contact)
- IF record% <= LOF(1) \ LEN(Contact) THEN GET #1, record%, Contact
- CLOSE #1
Note: The Contact record contains all of the DOT variable types listed in the TYPE.
Example 2: Restoring array data from a BINARY file using GET.
- DIM myarray(1000) AS INTEGER
- OPEN "myfile.ext" FOR BINARY AS #1
- GET #1, , myarray()
- CLOSE #1
Note: The file data must have been previously stored using PUT the same way!