The GET file statement reads data from a file by bytes or TYPE variable records.
Syntax: GET #filenumber%, [location], variable_value
- File number is the number of the file OPEN AS statement.
- The byte or record location is the byte in a BINARY file or the record in a RANDOM file.
- Location can be omitted if the GETs are consecutive or when creating a new file.
- The variable value is any string or number type or a TYPE or FIELDvariable.
Example: Using a TYPE record variable to read a record.
- OPEN file$ FOR RANDOM as #1 LEN = LEN(Contact)
- IF record% <= LOF(1) \ LEN(Contact) THEN GET #1, record%, Contact
- CLOSE #1
Note: The Contact record contains all variable types listed in the TYPE.
See also: PUT