Author Topic: [FIXED] macOS Mojave deprecating OpenGL  (Read 3145 times)

Online FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
[FIXED] macOS Mojave deprecating OpenGL
« on: September 25, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
After updating my macOS version to the latest Mojave, released yesterday, new programs compiled with QB64 were rendered unusable since the screen flickers like hell. It is known that Apple is deprecating OpenGL, although it is still supported to some extent (QB64 programs compiled before the update - using High Sierra - still run and look normal).

I'm looking to see if it's a simple switch that will fix it all (it seems so) but in the meantime, be aware that QB64 is semi-incompatible with macOS Mojave.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:09:16 AM by odin »

Online jack

• Seasoned Forum Regular
Re: macOS Mojave deprecating OpenGL
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:55:40 PM »
last time I tried the beta version, all of my recreational programming tools stoped working, the scary thing was reverting the disk partition back from APFS to HFS+, found help here https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-revert-back-to-apples-hfs-from-apfs/
I think I'll wait, no rush for me.

Offline Fifi

• My small QB64 contribution
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:39:11 AM »
Unfortunately, Apple isn't better than MSFT with regard to keep the compatibility of its OS (and its components) with previous releases.
Further, new versions are always less "permissive" and remove important tools.
That's why my two iMac 27 will stay (for a long time) one with OS/X 10.9 and the second with 10.11.
Then, what am I missing when not upgrading to Mojave?
I bet nothing essential.
Just my two cents.
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Online FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:59:47 PM »
This is still the first beta release of the upcoming update 10.14.2 of Apple's macOS, so things could change.

BUT

We seem to be back in the game. Hurray!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline davidshq

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
Huzzah!

Can anyone provide me with some additional insight on the decision by Apple to discontinue OpenGL support? I read the notice in the release notes:
https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/

But I'm still a bit confuzzled. Has OpenGL stopped being developed? Or is this a move by Apple to force folks to use their API? I assume when Apple says it is deprecated they mean that it won't be included with the OS in the future - but does that mean that it wouldn't work if packaged?