Author Topic: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!  (Read 1005 times)

Re: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2018, 10:03:08 AM »
Hey Terry, I picked up another T430 for only $75+tax!  Great condition too.  I originally went to the pawn shop to look for instruments and saw a T430 sitting there for only $99.  They took $80 out the door. 

I am wanting to upgrade the HD on this one to a SDD like you did, and was wondering which one you choose for your T430 (I haven't had a SDD before).

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »
There are two SSDs I trust.

For outright speed I go with these:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1539101091&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+ssd

If I'm not too particular about speed but still want the convenience and power savings of an SSD I go with these:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-240GB-Solid-State-SDSSDA-240G-G26/dp/B01F9G43WU/ref=sr_1_3_acs_ac_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539101162&sr=1-3-acs&keywords=sandisk+ssd

I've never had a problem with either manufacturer. Samsung is considered the best in the industry and are a bit pricier because of this. If you go with Samsung make sure to run the Samsung Magician software that comes with them. It makes them fly!

I can't believe you are finding these laptops so cheap!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:08:55 PM by TerryRitchie »
g=c800:5 fixes everything

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the links, Terry!  I will probably go with one of those.

Yeah, I got lucky again.  Using the pawn shop website search engine, I see there are a few more T430's in their inventory around $100, but none are near me.  I'm set now on laptops anyway.   

- Dav

Offline luke

• QB64 Developer
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
My desk is incredibly boring in comparison. Laptop, coaster, pens, notebook, whiteboard/pinboard, thermometer, random arduino in the corner. Black spots in image courtesy of a dodgy phone camera.

Offline FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
Is that coaster marble?

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »
Wow no real mouse? How do you tolerate the ugh... jeez what's the legit word called... ummm..... whatever I can't type it: https://xkcd.com/243/
"An eye for an eye like a fish needs a bicycle" - Adolf Lincoln

Efforts:
http://www.barnesreport.net/scripturam/

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2018, 09:40:34 AM »
My eyes are so bad, I thought it was a small cat sitting in the corner.

No wonder he prefers typing.
B = B + ...
QB64 x 64 v1.2 2018 0228/86 git b30af92
QB64 v1.2 2018 0228/86 git b30af92
QB64 v1.1 2017 1106/82

Offline luke

• QB64 Developer
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
The coaster is some sort of stone, it was a table place name from a wedding. I don't think it's real marble though.

I keep a wireless usb mouse in the draw for the rare times I need it. Mainly for playing games. The clit mouse was a factor when buying the laptop :)

Offline TerryRitchie

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2018, 12:05:22 PM »
Nice Thinkpad!

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2018, 11:55:03 PM »
When facing forward and backward, respectively:
"An eye for an eye like a fish needs a bicycle" - Adolf Lincoln

Efforts:
http://www.barnesreport.net/scripturam/

Offline TerryRitchie

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:40 AM »
I wish my fireplace was close to my workspace. A very nice area to work in.

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2018, 02:38:09 AM »
Since I haven't been around awhile (due to upgrading & updating The QB64 Edition forum), I thought I would chime in on this one.

Here's my little setup (the colors are not accurate due to the limited capability of my phone camera - or maybe due to the darkness):

About the photo:

• That's Diet Mtn Dew in the cup.
  • I am very patriotic, so I wave my country's flag.
  • My mouse pad is over 20 years old. It shows the statue of liberty, the Bold Eagle, a statue of the guys holding up the American flag, and reads, "Operation Enduring Freedom"
  • I have tons of notebooks and scratch pads that I make all my notes on. Those on my desk (six of them) all have notes for my upgraded site.
  • What you don't see in the photo are my four external hard drives. They are left of the laptop.
  • I have tons of books, but most are not shown in the photo.
  • The pink mouse was my wife's, but she gave it to me when mine died on me.
  • The external keyboard is a lighted one. All the characters light up. I have to use this keyboard since the laptop is from France and with a french keyboard.
  • I am running Ubuntu 18 operating system. I've been using it for awhile now and I am loving it.
  • The site on the big screen is the new iteration of The QB64 Edition forum at the moment I created this post.
  • That little black round device to the left of the laptop, on the white cloth, is a Amazon Alexa. My oldest daughter bought it for me for my birthday last year. I use it for research and to play music.
  • The little metal basket the flag is in, contains flag, ruler, pens, highlighters, screwdriver, and other stuff. There is a bigger metal basket behind it that holds more pens and highlighters.
  • The surge protection (underneath the flag) that everything is plugged into is over 22 years old. I paid $50.00 for it at the time.
  • Yes, that is an Egyptian Scarab Beetle (also known as a dung beetle) statue on the laptop next to my USB thumb drives.
  • Yes, I have tons of browser tabs open on four instances of the FireFox's web developer 64-Bit browser. What can I say, I an internet junkie!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:39:14 AM by Waltersmind »

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »
Waltersmind:

1. Oh, I thought that was a urine specimen.

7. Oh, I thought you liked pink. I'm not here to judge!

That one monitor is bigger than most TV sets, even these days.

« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2018, 09:12:42 PM »
I won't bother taking a picture of the Dell laptop, which I use always for work. QB64 is loaded on that laptop too. The attached photo is my main setup, for fun stuff rather than just work.

Left bottom shelf is the Dell OptiPlex Small Form Factor, w/ Core i7. Above it is a Sangean so-called WiFi tuner. On the right side are the stereo preamp and amp. The monitor is an LG HDTV. OptiPlex to LG connection is HDMI. All the audio goes to the stereo preamp and amp. You can also see on the bottom the wireless mouse and an edge of the keyboard. Then, two vintage Dahlquist DQ10 speakers in front, Polk subwoofer on the right, two small satellite speakers for ambience effects in the back (not in photo).

I use the OptiPlex for just about everything. Watching TV (99.9% of which I stream over WiFi), listening to Internet radio (if not using the Sangean), for web browsing, for writing programs, playing CDs and DVDs, all through the sound system and the LG TV.

Anyway, that's why I have fun with coming up with a good sounding QB64 music player.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:16:48 PM by Bert22306 »

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2018, 11:07:22 PM »
@Bert

We've replaced Walter's regular Diet Dew with a urine specimen. Let's see if he will notice!

Actually what Water won't admit to is you are right. It is a urine specimen. It's Walt's newest security measure to prevent out of control spam from entering the Joyful Programmer Site. If successful, you will need to have a clean sample, as any traces of drugs or alcohol, which could lead to aberrant posting, will be detected by the security software. I heard he completed his project, and now just needs beta testers. I volunteer Bill. Bill, all you need to do is download Walt's software, log onto The Joyful Programmer site, obtain a sample. and pour it directly onto your keyboard. If the site allows you to post, you're clean. If the monitor goes blank, well you can buy a new one after you sober up. Please share your results with Walter, as if this beta version is successful, he intends to go on to make version 2.0, which will also detect social media diseases. Thanks for trying: You're In! v1.0.

@Walt

Stop drinking that diet crap. It's full of chemicals that are not kind to the body and if it worked for weight loss, Americans wouldn't be twice as fat as when this crap was first brought to market. We want you around and healthy for a long time.

Pete
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:56:36 AM by Pete »