Author Topic: "Maximum time after posting to allow edit" has been reduced  (Read 436 times)

Offline odin

• Administrator
  • Forum Regular
  • I am.
In order to avoid abuse of the feature, the setting "Maximum time after posting to allow edit" has been reduced. A post can only be edited for a short period of time after it's been published. Any corrections after the grace period must be done in a new reply to the same thread.

Offline GTC

• Programmer's motto: *This* time it will work.
Re: "Maximum time after posting to allow edit" has been reduced
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 12:19:10 AM »
That's a fairly common policy on most forums. What is the editing time window now set to?

Offline odin

• Administrator
  • Forum Regular
  • I am.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 12:26:22 AM »
Five minutes.

For people updating code in their own threads, make sure to mark the update post as "Most Recent Update":

So people will see this:

Offline RhoSigma

• QB64 Developer
  • Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 06:34:42 AM »
Although I can understand this desicion, you still should reconsider it for the "Programs" board.
My Projects:   http://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=809
GuiTools - A graphic UI framework (can do multiple UI forms/windows in one program)
Libraries - ImageProcess, StringBuffers (virt. files), MD5/SHA2-Hash, LZW etc.
Bonus - Blankers, QB64/Notepad++ setup pack

Offline DANILIN

• Forum Regular
    • Danilin youtube
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 05:17:10 AM »
It is offered:

editing previous posts in topic: 1 day
editing last post in topic: 1 week

After all program can change qualitatively
Russia looks world from future. big data is peace data.
i never recommend anything to anyone and always write only about myself

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 03:12:26 AM »
Considering the older posts are preserved, and a link is provided where they can be viewed, well, how was that not enough of an abuse deterrent? I remember on the QBasic Forum, the older posts were preserved as non-public posts. If a complaint arose, it could be investigated by the mods, but not seen by the community. The N54 boards simply didn't have that public feature available. Anyway, I think the only abuse I can recall were a few posts when someone would go off pretty obnoxiously on another member, and then edit the post to be much more neutral in nature, knowing very well the member targeted already read the original version. Beyond that, which I wouldn't call abuse, was the occasional caught up in pride issue. That was when a member would call foul in some aspect of another member's code, but the post got changed, without crediting the other member's find. Sometimes this happened simply because the OP discovered the error and corrected it, without reading the other member's posts. Anyway, never a perfect world.

Expect to see a few more posts with grammar mistakes with the 5-minute tie limit.

Pete