Author Topic: Multi-Dimensional Arrays Not Showing Up in Variable List  (Read 143 times)

Offline George McGinn

• Linkedin Resume
Multi-Dimensional Arrays Not Showing Up in Variable List
« on: March 23, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »
Hi,

I tried to use vWatch64 on a large program (3000 lines) converted from QB45, and I am making updates, but I need to see what is in a two-dimensional array. It does not show up in the variable list.

Is this a bug, or does the current version of vWatch not support arrays with more than one dimension?
              IEEE Sensors Council & IoT Technical Community
              American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Offline FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • Let it go, this too shall pass.
    • QB64.org
Re: Multi-Dimensional Arrays Not Showing Up in Variable List
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 01:50:47 PM »
Those are ignored by design.

Offline George McGinn

• Linkedin Resume
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 02:19:40 PM »
WOW!

That is where a lot of issues by programmers occur.

Is any part of vWatch written in C/C++, or is it all QB64? (I may take a stab at it, but I need to finish my vintagebasic.net website, which is 3 months past its deadline)

Thanks for the response.

George

Those are ignored by design.

Offline FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • Let it go, this too shall pass.
    • QB64.org
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:28:12 PM »
It's all QB64 and bear in mind that the latest version of vWATCH is already incompatible with some recent features of QB64, so don't place all your debugging bets on it as is. It does require some work, which I haven't been able to do recently.

In summary: vWATCH is best for smaller, simpler projects right now.

Offline George McGinn

• Linkedin Resume
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 03:11:34 PM »
I understand that.

I just looked into how you are processing variables, and you are storing them in Arrays.

I understand that with the current logic, multi-dimensional arrays would screw up the variable list and when you load the array using one occurrence to loop through and determine the lower and upper limits.

As I test it with some of my programs, I can identify what isn't compatible. I know already that even though QB64 compiles and runs my QB45 code without changes, I have seen what is not in vWatch64.

While I am looking into how to make multi-dimensional arrays work, I can see how and what needs to be done with longer programs.

I have 11 projects I am working on, so I will chip away at this as I can, or when I need to use it, as I am writing some interesting stuff in QB64 (one is classified as a grad student will be using it to help with his astrophysics research and journal paper. These I am prohibited from sharing, unless the code is required during the peer review process, which thanks to the IEEE, there are now requirements allowing coders working on scientific research papers to get at least a footnote or listed as an author, depending on how much it contributes to the findings).

I'll let you know what I find in vWatch, and any changes I can test on my own and will communicate them with you.

George.

It's all QB64 and bear in mind that the latest version of vWATCH is already incompatible with some recent features of QB64, so don't place all your debugging bets on it as is. It does require some work, which I haven't been able to do recently.

In summary: vWATCH is best for smaller, simpler projects right now.