Author Topic: QBasic Forum - Network54 Server Offline  (Read 402 times)

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
QBasic Forum - Network54 Server Offline
« on: May 23, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
Network54, the site that hosts the QBasic Forum, has been offline since yesterday. This probably means they are finally transferring forums over to Tapatalk. It could also just be a glitch, although N54 has had few of those and usually has quick return of service. It could also be a problem they encountered while migrating the many Network54 discussion forums. So it's hard to say if this is progress or a mess, and it would have been nice to receive a notice but none were sent. I have not taken the time to visit Tapatalk to see if they have any news posted on their site. The last I checked, a few weeks ago, the QBasic Forum on Tapatalk was still in the beta phase.

When Tapatalk puts the QBasic Forum site up, it is supposed to redirect from the discontinued Network54 QB Forum URL. It that doesn't happen, Ill post the new Tapatalk QBasic Forum URL here.

Pete

Online FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
Re: QBasic Forum - Network54 Server Offline
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:13:54 PM »
Good timing for your post. I had been trying to reach it for the past half hour in my hourly routine of checking all forums. Thanks for letting us all know. Hope it gets solved soon.

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 02:44:37 AM »
And as Murphy's Law would have it, once I complained it was missing, it comes back. All I had to do was take a nap. My wife says that's when I do my best work, anyway... Shut up, Bill!

Pete

Online FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:07:35 AM »
Hm, still can't reach it...

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »
Darn that Murphy! I made a post yesterday, and shortly after that, it went down again.

My hunch is they are finally migrating forums, but I don't see why they need to take the server offline to do so, unless they boo-booed and are trying to salvage whatever went wrong.

They have a ton of stuff to copy and move. I think they finally gave up on communications because of all the questions people have been submitting.

There will probably be a lot of links that no longer work, pages missing, sub-forums not transferred and if so, they will be inundated with a lot more communications. If the migration doesn't go well, people will be very upset, however, everyone had fair warning about the changes, and could have paid to transfer their existing forums to another service provider. Network54 is so archaic it just wouldn't seem as simple as transferring a board like this one.

On the bright side, if Tapatalk didn't buy out N54, N54 would have just shut down. Of course if something goes wrong or has gone wrong in that deal, that will happen anyway. The only proof I have that the migration is going to take place is some forums that were already transferred to a web index unlisted beta forum. I haven't provided the URL because all posts to it would be overwritten and lost, replaced by the N54 forum posts if/when this migration actually occurs.

Pete
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:14:22 PM by Pete »

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
Update: Tapatalk replied to my inquiry about the QB forum migration problems and now has their migration team, whatever that means, looking into why it is still showing up in beta test format. If they update that to the permanent boards, I'll give you guys the URL, so you can check it out. Right now, anything that gets posted will just get erased when the migration overwrites the beta test board with the now down N54 forums.

Stay tuned to this website for more...

Total Drama Basic

Pete

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:21:12 PM »
Update: They goofed, but they are not stating what went wrong.

"Since there have been no recent posts, I've requested a full re-migration, which is going to be the only way to migrate all forums together.
Stay tuned."

So they are going to try to re-migrate it to a permanent board with 21 forums I'm trying to get transferred instead of the 11 they set up in the beta. Will we get them all back? Well, fingers crossed. Right now we have zero and anything beats zero... unless it's SCREEN 0, of course!

Pete

Online FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 06:35:09 PM »
Fingers crossed, Pete. Losing forum history would be terrible (which is also why Galleon should come for the rescue quicker for .net as well...).

Hope all goes well for both sites.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:49:42 PM by FellippeHeitor »

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
Any news on when the forums might be back, Pete?

Also, a friendly reminder: I have a forum to archive my QB64 stuff over at http://qb64.freeforums.net , and everyone is welcome to visit and use it to backup stuff there anytime.  As often as all the BASIC-based servers seem to fail, I feel like  it's a good idea to share and archive stuff in as many various online places as possibl -- and thus the forum over at Freeforums as well..  ;D

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »
All I can tell you is "they"  are working on it. They did fine with the setup communications but as the saying goes, "Talk is cheap." It's true. I just bought a jumbo container of general talk today at my local Walmart, and they even honored my expired coupons! I'm going back again next week, when Target has the same offer on a BOGO. Anyway, fingers crossed that they can do now what was supposed to have been done already, fully implement the QB Forum. I'll post more updates when I hear back from them. All they left me with so far is a, "Stay tuned." message. I guess they think because I spend a lot of time pressing keys, I must be a piano. Maybe if they knew I was a computer, things would have worked out more logically with the "migration." I just hope while all this talk is taking place, they they aren't building a fire"wall." to keep us out. I mean they asked me if I had a Visa, but I didn't think that's what they were talking about.

Pete

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 11:57:51 PM »
Tapatalk is as bad as N54 ever was...

Went to their site and no Search or list of forums, just pleas to use their piece of crap services...

A fitting place to bury Pedro and his maniac Dicktater Drumpf army :-)

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:20 AM »
Tapatalk is pitiful.  Sent me an e-mail today...

To: Steve

I have no idea what to even begin to think about that!  My name isn't Chris.  I didn't get a message yesterday.  I've NEVER contacted Network 54 Support, so there's NO WAY they're replying (RE:) to a message I sent them first!

If they can't even send and receive emails properly, they'll never be able to migrate the old N54 QBASIC forums. 

RIP N54-QBASIC!  :'(

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 09:31:10 AM »
If they can't even send and receive emails properly, they'll never be able to migrate the old N54 QBASIC forums. 

Well, they're no steve...

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
@ Steve... Tapatalk sends emails like the "boob-onic" plague sends Democrats; many and without meaning.

Update: I wrote them last week and they looked into the issue of missing forums and I also informed them the board was still in the beta stage. I conveyed that by telling them I could still see the beta banner on the board. Beta means it is a test board only, and any posts written to it will be overwritten with the N54 posts, once the "final" migration is completed. Well they fixed that, sort of... by promptly removing the "beta" banner. All of 5-seconds work, I,m sure. What they didn't do is update the boards, with the latest posts. I can understand if the person working on it wants to do the full restore along with the final update before updating just the part they were able to migrate in the beta version. Still, I don't want to use the boards until they are completely migrated and they are finished fiddling with them. That's because anything anyone posts now would just get overwritten if they finally do get around to the final migration. I mean if I was handling it, I would have removed the beta banner and at the same time updated the boards with the last couple of months of N54 posts, and then emailed "me," to let me know part of the boards weree completed and ready to use, and the others will be up ASAP. Oh well, if everyone was exceptional like Steve and me, Clippy would probably be President and vacationing at Maro Largo on the weekends... and we can't have that, so...

Anyway, they "prioritized" this issue but it's all lip service until something more substantial than removing a banner gets done. My hunch is the company uses a PR person to communicate when it would be more helpful if they had a technician doing the communications who could actually follow up as he fixed things. I mean I once knew of a management firm that stopped hiring managing consultants and started hiring psychologists to do their communications. They went out of business due to lawsuits within that year. Apparently you can only polish BS a couple of times before it gets so thin, even blind, deaf, and dumb idiots see through it. You'd think their enhanced sense of smell would have tipped them off sooner, but whatever.

So the good news is there is something left of the forum but it's just not ready for prime time yet. I'll keep working with them, periodically, to prod them along and see what comes of it. I'll keep you guys posted here or over at Walt's site on the progress.

Pete

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »
Well some actual progress but still some problems.

We got the 10 forums that were archived at N54 back, so no instead of 11 indexed forums, the are now the 21 we originally had.

It looks like they just overwrote all posts back-dated to August 2017 instead of updating the beta board, as they stated would be done. In other words they were supposed to merge the newer posts into the final migration, but they didn't. :(

There also appears to be some data loss inside some posts topics, but it is hard to track down as asterisk posts no longer have asterisks in them, so certainly these would be empty posts but in the newer format, naturally look like a thread.

There is something weird with some posting dates, which for some reason show as "1969" I know Ted is old as **** and twice as ugly, but I doubt even he was posting in '69... especially since Al Gore hadn't even invented the internet yet! :D

I won't be working the project until later in August but it is nice to see the boards mostly restored.

Oh, I almost forgot. For thse betting which site would get restored first, QB64 or the old N54 QBasic, well, QBasic is in the clubhouse and last I looked, QB64.net is still displaying the connection problems page. :(

Pete
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:27:21 PM by Pete »