Author Topic: I'm just full of... ideas. Has anyone asked Rob if...  (Read 365 times)

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!

Online FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Developer
  • LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
Re: I'm just full of... ideas. Has anyone asked Rob if...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:33:31 PM »
I definitely think the contents of the original .net forum has invaluable content that should never be lost, but I still think it's early and we must wait a tad longer. It has been only four days since I've heard from Rob and although it's never taken him this long (and the homepage at .net had never gone down even though the forum and wiki would tumble) I still think he'll come to the rescue.

Not long ago (last October if I'm not mistaken) we had made a full backup of the forum and put it here at .org; although I don't think we've got that file any longer, it wouldn't be a problem to do it again once .net comes back up.

Fingers crossed for the resurrection of .net.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:38:13 PM by FellippeHeitor »

Offline luke

• QB64 Developer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »
Not long ago (last October if I'm not mistaken) we had made a full backup of the forum and put it here at .org; although I don't think we've got that file any longer, it wouldn't be a problem to do it again once .net comes back up.
My memory of it was that we tried to take a copy of the forum using wget in a similar fashion to the wiki. But because of how the urls are structured and because there are so many links to actions on each page, you ended up with more pages than grains of sand on a beach, and the whole thing just kind of died. I think the version we had was quite incomplete, with only some posts being kept.

Ideally we'd get a copy of the relevant database tables off Rob and the folder of attachment files.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 12:15:03 AM »
Hoping that you will be able to get the full repository from Rob...maybe Rob would even consider transferring the domain name?

If you can't get a full download of the forums from Rob, one could probably get most of it (with some work) from The Wayback Machine (archive.org).

Offline bplus

• B = B + geberation
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 12:28:54 AM »
Welcome to the org davidshq, how'd you like IRC?

To all, what argument(s) might the legendary Galleon have against these ideas? ( I know Him NOT.)

(Rob == Galleon, bplus is assuming)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:49:49 AM by bplus »
B = B + ...

Offline Pete

• Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 04:09:19 AM »
Yes, Rob's QB64 nick is Galleon. Mine's Pete. Same at TJP, same at N54, and same here. So basically, I'm constantly re-Pete-ing myself.

Pete :)

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
The only question. Why does Rob (Galleon) do something if he not have time for? Why admin on QB64.NET not do Odin? I have all my programs backed up, so I do not have a problem sending it here if NET goes away forever. We all know what the problem is to look for something if we do not know if it was on .NET or .ORG? And finally. Odin, where is my 1 star? :-D
Next - as developers know, your own IDE donwnload some help files from .net and this not working now (my last version is .84) so if NET ends, is here problem. And last - Petr here is the same Petr as on QB64.NET
Coding is relax (At least sometimes)

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
bplus - IRC was friendly, easy to use. Feel like all the UIs for IRC are a bit dated, would be nice to see a contemporary client. :)

Offline Cobalt

• At 60 I become highly radioactive!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »
Didn't Rob nix the idea of having a mirror of the Forum? Can't remember just why but I'm pretty sure he was against it.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
"I definitely think the contents of the original .net forum has invaluable content that should never be lost"

I am in total agreement with FellippeHeitor on saving the old forum.

We need to give Rob time to restore it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:35:42 AM by odin »

Offline bplus

• B = B + geberation
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »
To my knowledge, there is no reason why people can't post their Golden Oldies from the NET here at the ORG.

That saves the best and leaves the rest in peace :)

Why always leave stuff for someone else to do?

If it is too much work, maybe get a bot to help :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:12:29 PM by bplus »
B = B + ...